This is the Loch Ness Monster of recipes. I’ve searched high and low for this on the Interweb for the last few years, and have yet to find it. So I made one up, cobbled together from a handful of sources, and combined it all into one big happy recipe. So here goes:
- 1 ½ cups gluten free flour blend
- 3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum (omit if your flour blend contains it. Or you can substitute cornstarch if you don’t want to shell out the hefty pricetag for this stuff.)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted but not too hot
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cups chocolate chips or chocolate chunks
- Whisk together the gluten free flour, cocoa powder, xanthan gum, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
- Add the melted butter and honey to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or use a hand mixer). Mix on medium-low speed until completely combined.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract to the honey mixture, and then mix to combine. Scrape down the bowl with a spatula.
- Add the dry ingredients to the honey mixture and mix on low until all of the dry ingredients are incorporated. Mix in the chocolate chunks/chips.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill the dough for 2 hours (or put it in the freezer for 20 minutes, if you’re impatient like me).
- Once the dough has chilled, preheat the oven to 325 degrees and line 2 baking pans with silicone mats or parchment paper.
- Use a large cookie scoop (about 3 tablespoons) to portion the cookie dough into 18 cookies. Roll each portion into a ball then place on the prepared baking mats. Gently press down slightly to flatten the top.
- Bake for 12-16 minutes (this can vary depending on your oven and the type of honey you use, but check them around 12 minutes and see how they’re doing).
- Cool the cookies on the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Transfer the cookies to a wire rack and cool completely.
That’s it! Enjoy!